Sunday, May 6, 2012

Growing up


I am almost a quarter of a century old. I'm 24 and in 9 months I am going to be 25. ONe thing about getting older and being an adult is realizing that your parents are also getting older. Most children come to a point in their lives when they are no longer just the child and their parents are no longer the caregivers. Roles are reversed where the children become the caregivers for their parents and the parents become more like the children. This is where I am in my life at the moment.

Last year, Papi got cancer and I was faced with seeing him sick all the time and me trying to take care of him and Mami. Mami is now dealing with another medical problem. My brother's host father passed away last week. A generation is now passing and we are coming up. Our roles switch from child o adult ad sometimes we don't realize the full extent to what that means. I at least didn't know the emotional repercussions of what it will mean to grow up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment